Thanks to Katrina from Barreleye Zoology for the nomination!
This version of the Liebster Award has five rules. They are:
- Acknowledge the blog who nominated you.
- Answer the 11 questions your nominator asked.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers.
- Ask them 11 questions.
- Let them know you have nominated them.
1. What is your favourite animal (and why)?
At the moment, grey seals definitely top my list! I find all marine megafauna pretty amazing, and have had a big thing about turtles since I was small. I also adore whales (particularly humpbacks and orca) but I’ve never actually seen them. Between diving in the Farne Islands and volunteering at a seal rehabilitation centre in the Netherlands I’ve had plenty up close experiences with grey seals and I really enjoy their charisma and strong personalities/individuality. They’re just super fun (and really cute).2. How long does it take you to write a blog post?
This massively varies! Some of my weekly posts from the Netherlands took a long time as I really had to sit and think through everything that had happened, and there was always so much to fit in! Equally review posts and posts that require more extensive research, like the articles I wrote on Ganges river sharks and calico groupers for TCPI also take a good few hours. Shorter, personal reflective pieces like Life After Student Loans only take half an hour or so.
3. What languages do you speak?
Only English, to my eternal shame! I’ve been working on my Spanish preparing to go out to Costa Rica in July. I’m really hoping to improve it a lot while I am out there.
4. What was the last book you read?
The Sellout – a very funny, very challenging intense satire of ‘post-racial’ America that I will have to read at least a few more times to come remotely close to understanding, but which I would recommend to everyone!
5. What was the last skill you learned?
How to tube/force feed seals! Ahh, that’s pretty cool, I almost don’t want to learn any new skills so I can always give that answer. (That’s obviously not true, and I will expand by saying I want to learn the following skills – GIS, UAV piloting, marine mammal observation, how to use R.)
6. What musicians do you feel are underrated?
Not so much underrated as not yet as well known as I’m sure she’s going to be – Hayley Kiyoko. I’m particularly enjoying the sass level of her songs Curious and He’ll Never Love You.
Two songs I’m crazy about that I’ve never heard anyone else mention the songs/artists (although possibly just because I don’t have many conversations about music) are Proof Enough by Will Joseph Cook and Ally by Danny Padilla.
7. What pets do you have?
Well two dogs, though technically my parents have them. Chili is a ten year old labradoodle we’ve had since she was a pup and the easiest, sweetest, most ‘chilled’ dog ever (the power of a good name?). Ziggy is a five year old something that they adopted a bit over a year ago. She’s pretty mental but has calmed down a lot and become very affectionate.
8. Following on from the last question, what pets do you want to have?
One day, a dog of my own for sure. I’m not too fussy about breed as I think it would be best to adopt – maybe a Staffy because I love them and they often sadly seem to need adoption.
9. Should pineapple go on pizza?
10. What was your first blog post?
After a brief introduction to the blog, it was a profile post on myself! A bit self-indulgent I guess but a lot of what I want to do with my blog is support people who are out there trying to make a career in Zoology and let them know a) that they’re not alone and b) the variety of ways other people are going about trying to build their careers. Since I’ve also gotten my friend Sophie to fill out a profile, and I’m about to nag some more people into it.
11. And finally, is there a place you think everyone should visit at least once in their life?
I’m not sure there’s one travel destination for everyone, since peoples’ interests are so vastly different, but the Greek islands certainly have a special place in my heart and I would be surprised if they didn’t take your breath away.
My 11 Questions
- What was your first job?
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
- Favourite season and why?
- Favourite TV show?
- When did you first travel alone and where did you go? If you haven’t, do you think you ever will?
- Why did you start a blog?
- What did you want to be when you were a kid?
- Would you rather travel into the future or the past?
- Do you have any siblings?
- Can you cook well?
- What is the next thing you plan to learn?
Please view these nominations as a compliment and not an obligation!